MILWAUKEE (June 21, 2017) – Summerfest presented by American Family Insurance is celebrating its 50th edition with the community and its fans through a special Opening Ceremony on June 28, 2017 at 5:00 pm at the recently renovated Miller Lite Oasis.
Milwaukee’s own John McGivern will emcee the event as Summerfest toasts to 50 years, bringing the best in music to the festival, and creating lifelong fans. Festivities will also include a welcome from Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. Board Chairman Ted Kellner, President and CEO Don Smiley, local community members, and sponsors who will officially kick off the fest. Attendees will also enjoy fun activities and surprises during the ceremony.
As a part of the celebration, select Summerfest grounds crew and security staff will thank fans by distributing 25,000 FREE Summerfest weekday tickets throughout the 75 acres of Henry Maier Festival Park.
“Summerfest’s 50th Opening Ceremony continues the legacy started by Mayor Henry Maier in 1968 of celebrating with the community and gives us a chance to honor our fans” stated Don Smiley, Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. President and CEO. “We invite everyone to join us as we thank those who helped us get to where we are today – our sponsors, volunteers, vendors, staff, and of course, our fans,” Smiley added.
Other Opening Day highlights include:
- Johnson Controls “Stomp Out Hunger Day” with FOX6. All patrons arriving between noon – 3 pm who donate 3 non-perishable food items will receive 1 FREE weekday ticket, valid for the day and time of the promotion.
- NEW - Miller Lite Tank Beer will be filled at Miller Brewery and will travel the short distance to the NEW Miller Lite Brew House at Summerfest within hours, where Summerfest goers will be able to enjoy a Miller Lite just as the brewmaster intended.
- The NEW American Family Experience featuring an innovative space and offering a live art installation, a design-your- own-photo activity and a rooftop lounge.
- NEW Summerfest 50 Exhibit presented by Pick ‘n Save chronicling fifty years of festival history.
- American Family Insurance Amphitheater headliner Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Other headliners include Flume, The Moody Blues, Tesla, Frankie Ballard, Mister Wives, Spin Doctors, Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears
- The Summerfest Big Bang Fireworks presented by Menards and WISN-TV live on the grounds at 9:30PM.
About Summerfest presented by American Family Insurance
Summerfest 2017 presented by American Family Insurance – the festival’s 50th edition – will take place June 28 – July 2 and July 4 – July 9 from noon until midnight and will be closed Monday, July 3. Following its 1968 debut, Summerfest has evolved into what is now recognized as “The World’s Largest Music Festival” and Milwaukee’s cornerstone summer celebration, hosting the music industry’s hottest stars, emerging talent and local favorites along with approximately 850,000 people from Milwaukee and around the world each year for an unforgettable live music experience. During the festival, the spotlight shines on over 800 acts, over 1,000 performances, 11 stages, delectable food and beverages and interactive activities, all in a world-class festival setting. For more details, visit Summerfest.com, Facebook.com/summerfest or Twitter: @Summerfest.